Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Peanut Brittle




Well since I invested in that candy thermometer I feel the need to use it, so this recipe caught my eye in Family Fun magazine.

Peanut brittle has long been one of my favorite candies, I remember as a child loving Planters Peanut Bars.

Over the summer while on a long road trip we stopped at a rest stop and bought some snacks, Tim grabbed a peanut brittle. After we got in the car and blasted it open we discovered it stale and old, what a disappointment. That was the last brittle I had so I was hoping that what I was about to make wasn't going to be another let down.

I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the peanuts. I decided to splurge on the peanuts, I love Stew Leonard's peanuts and at $6.99 a can they are a splurge, but I am worth it. The peanuts were also salted, so I just omitted the salt from the recipe.

Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups peanuts
2 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. baking soda

Instructions
Heat sugar, syrup, 1/2 cup water and salt to a rolling boil in a heavy saucepan. Add peanuts. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until syrup spins a thread (265 degrees).



Remove from heat. Immediately add butter & vanilla, then baking soda. Beat rapidly and pour on a buttered surface spreading to 1/4 inch thickness. When cool break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 2 lb.



Watch your teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment