Saturday, January 8, 2011

Heart Cake Throwdown



I felt like I was on an episode of the Throwdown! with Bobby Flay, but mine was a Donna Buckley challenge. She threw it out there and I knew I had to give it my best attempt. The directions came from this webpage, http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/02/heart-cake-tutorial.html, and they gave a blow by blow direction. (P.S. I still have not figured out how to post a link on a blog, may make that a goal for 2011)

I didn't use the cake recipe provided on that blog, only because I had a bunch of cake mixes on hand I would have had to gone to the supermarket for alot of the required ingredients. This cake was more about the design than the cake to me. This cake actually required three different cakes, a red one for the heart and four white layers. They all needed to be baked and cooled completely. That is when the real fun began.

I read the directions step by step, as I sometimes miss a step here and there on regular occassions, but this one was a challenge and I needed to do my best. Plus it was so time consuming I may have smashed the cake if it didn't look good when I was done.



I had to make two 2-layered cakes. Each layer got cut at an angle, as if you were cutting a cone from each layer. One "cone" got filled with the mashed red cake, and the other "cone" got refilled slightly with an inverted cone and filled.



I was nervous about flipping one of the layers upside down to top the cake but that went better than expected. Then the cake got frosted and went into the fridge for the night. I was anxious to cut it, so we cut it after breakfast and ate it in our pajamas.



This was my official taste tester, and he approved.

2 comments:

  1. Great picture of your handsome little man. Nothing like cake in the morning!! That cake is so cool. Great job. As far as the link goes, there is an icon on the blogger tool bar. It's next to the color options for and it looks like a green earth. Let me know if you have any questions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Missy!
    OMG that looks good. It looks very moist/dense? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete