Saturday, October 9, 2010

Guinness Stew



Believe it or not this recipe came from a Disney Food Blog, you can actually find this stew in Epcot at the Rose & Crown Pub. With the weather getting cooler stew is a good stick to the bones dinner, and easy to make too. I had most of the ingredients on hand all I needed was a bottle of Guinness, which I was able to pick up the one bottle I needed at the local beer distributor. I didn't feel like spending $10 on a six pack in case I didn't really like it and I wasn't sure if anyone would drink what I had left over.I made this stew on the stove but I am sure would do just as well in the crockpot.

I followed the original posted recipe but then had to make some small variations. The original recipe calls for no flour, so I did wonder how this stew was going to thicken up. So at the end I added some Wondra as a thickener. I also doubled the amount of Guinness, I wasn't just going to pour it down the drain or drink it at home by myself.

Ingredients:
2 pounds sirloin cubes
1 ounce olive oil
1 dry bay leaf
8 ounces diced onions
4 ounces diced carrots
½ ounce chopped garlic
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary
¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
8 ounces Guinness stout
1 quart beef broth

You start by cubing the meat in equally sized cubes. Brown the meat in olive oil in a large pot. Once meat is browned on all sides add bay leaf, onion and carrots. Cook until onions are translucent.

Add garlic, thyme, rosemary, chili flakes and Guinness. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the broth and bring to a boil.



Reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour, or until meat and carrots are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment