Saturday, June 11, 2011

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies




At some time yesterday I read on Facebook that it was National Peanut Butter Cookie Day on June 12th.  I love peanut butter cookies, so this was just an excuse for me to fire up the oven and bake a batch.  One of my favorite peanut butter cookie recipes comes from America's Test Kitchen, but I saw that Peanut Butter & Company was selling Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies for the "holiday".  I love peanut butter, and I love oatmeal so I went in search of a recipe.


It didn't take long for me to find a keeper.  Allrecipes had one that had straight forward ingredients and the reviews were glowing.  I did however swap out the shortening and used butter.  I didn't have any shortening on hand, and I just usually prefer butter.  I have been known to have 20 pounds of butter in the freezer just in case of a baking frenzy.  I also didn't flatten with fork, they did fine on their own.

The result was a delicious cookie.  Could be adding this recipe to my make for Christmas present list.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups peanut butter
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups quick cooking oats
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
  2. In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and peanut butter. Add the brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla; mix well.
  3. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
  4. Drop by the rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with fork. Bake for 12 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment