Monday, February 28, 2011

Crockpot Oatmeal



I pretty much like anything that contains oatmeal, mostly baked goods.  I had been craving oatmeal for breakfast for some time now, but the instant oatmeal had been in the cabinet for so long it tasted like the plastic package it was in.  What a let down.

So from there I browsed the internet for an oatmeal recipe that I could throw in the crockpot at night before I went to bed and wake up to a yummy hot breakfast.  There were many recipes out there, most of which had dried fruit, lots of sugar and made with half-and-half or cream.  I am trying to watch what I eat so I didn't want to take the health benefits of oatmeal and cover them with cream and sugar.  

I finally came across the right one for me, thank goodness I wrote it down that night because I had been unable to find it again to give that person credit, sorry.

Recipe

1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 cup low fat milk
2 cups water
1 tea salt
1 Tbsp butter

Put all of the ingredients into a heat safe bowl.  You are going to place this bowl into the crockpot and set the crockpot on low.  Pour water into the crockpot around the heat safe bowl about half way up the bowl.  Cover and go to bed.  About 8 hours later, because you should get 8 hours of sleep a night, your oatmeal will be ready.

I get 4 servings out of this, and each serving is 3 Points Plus on Weight Watchers.  Whatever toppings I add are additional.




This made enough oatmeal for me for 4 days.  I just put the leftovers in the fridge, and heated up my portion every morning in the microwave.  It reheated really well.  I added a spoonful of toasted walnuts and some maple syrup to flavor mine just the way I like it.



3 comments:

  1. I am making this Oatmeal now, I'll let you know how it turns out for me. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is really nothing I would rather have for breakfast than steel cut oats, okay...well, maybe a big waffle!

    Thanks for sharing your blog info on the My Baking Addiction Facebook page! Can't wait to see more of your creations!

    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love oat meal and this one looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete